Was it luck or help from above that made mom Sarah Neeley take a CPR class? We will never know, but what we do know is that three months after she took the CPR course, she saved her 2-year-old son’s life.
She yelled for someone to call 911 and did chest compressions and rescue breaths, poolside, on her son, Becket, saving him from drowning.
Now, a year later, Sarah said in an interview: “I never thought I would use it on my child. I didn’t really think I’d ever use it. It just seemed like a good idea.”
Well, that “good idea,” mixed with quick action is what saved her son’s life.
“I am so grateful,” Sarah Neeley said. “I was never going to use CPR and I used it on my own son.”
Sarah and her husband Bobby were at their friend’s home getting ready for a baptism when they noticed that they haven’t seen Becket for about two minutes. Bobby noticed a sliding glass door open and a dog sniffing by a covered pool on the deck.
“I ripped off the cover,” Bobby said, and “Becket was face down and his arms were out.” She jumped into the 4-foot pool and got Becket out.
“He was limp, cold and blue,” said Sarah. She yelled for her friend to call 911, and laid Becket on his back. She then started alternating sets of chest compressions and rescue breaths.
“After the third set, water came out of everywhere and some vomit,” Sarah recalled. But she continued. Then Becket vomited again. That’s when a police officer, who was close by, arrived, took Becket, cleared vomit from his mouth and ran toward the ambulance which had just arrived.
“Over the commotion, I heard him scream and saw his left arm move and he started to cry. We climbed with them into the ambulance. He stabilized his breathing quickly. He started saying ‘mommy.'”
“It was massive relief and then fear,” Bobby recalled. “Would there be cognitive damage?”
Becket was taken to the closest hospital where he was evaluated overnight and checked out fine. He was discharged the next day.
Only after a few days Sarah started to realize what had happened. “Then the gratitude sunk in,” Sarah said. “We had a strong marriage before but this has taken everything to the next level.”
The kids are now taking swimming lessons, and friends and family are taking CPR courses.
“Somebody was definitely watching out for him,” Bobby said.
By the way, Sarah took the CPR class because she was concerned about kids choking on food. Drowning wasn’t even on her mind.
Summer is right around the corner and pools are found everywhere. CPR is crucial in the very first seconds of drowning, so if you haven’t done it so far – take a CPR course. NOW.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10 people die by drowning each day in the United States. Many of these deaths could be avoided.